What Is Design-Build?
Design-Build brings together the arts of architecture, interior design, and construction to efficiently plan, design, and build your project with one single team from start to finish — giving the customer a streamlined process of communication and accountability for a successful project.
The design and construction team works together to design and plan your project around a targeted budget, ensuring that the final design is buildable and financially responsible.
Every remodeling project carries the potential for unforeseen problems, depending on the existing house. With a design-build firm, you have one single point of contact to resolve any issues that may occur. No more playing the blame game between contractors, interior designers, or architects —just simple solutions to help smoothly move your remodeling project toward a successful outcome.
Advantages of Design-Build
- Single point of responsibility minimizes owner risk
- Eliminates adversarial conditions: No blame-shifting or excuses that occur with multiple parties
- Team approach saves time and money
- Faster project delivery
- Open/transparent and instantaneous communication
- Higher quality design and innovation
The Design-Build approach is relatively simple. It’s a group of teammates working closely together to achieve the same goal. Providing planning, collaboration, mutual respect, trust, and shared leadership between the team members and clients. “There is no I in team.” It doesn’t matter how great a superstar you have; you can’t win the championship without your full team pulling its weight in most teams. This rings true with Design-Build also. You’ll never finish your project on time or within budget without full participation and performance from all your team members.
Architecture | Interiors | Construction
Architecture, Interiors, Construction
DISCOVERY / CONSULTATION
- Pre-Design Consultation: We take the time to meet you in our design center or in your home to understand the goals and desires you hope to accomplish with your project. Together, we explore the possibilities for what you’d like to achieve.
- Preliminary Scope & Budget: We provide our shared, refined vision and ideas — along with an initial rough budget.
We answer your questions and share our process for guiding you through a successful project. If it feels like we’re a good fit for each other, we’ll move to the next step.
- Design Agreement: Once you’ve signed the agreement, we go to work on scheduling the team and getting the process started.
- Site Measure: Our architectural team will work independently to scan, measure, and photograph the interior and exterior of your home. This process allows us to document and capture imagery of all existing conditions and provide digital floorplans necessary to develop the architectural as-built plans for your project.
- Design Interview: We dig deep to understand how you live in your home, along with your remodeling needs and desires.
- Develop Design Concepts: Our dedicated team of architectural and interior designers works with you to create preliminary layouts and 3D designs, making sure that your needs are reflected in the design.
- Confirm Budget Range: We re-evaluate approved concepts and advise on the current budget range.
DESIGN DEVELOPMENT — Details, Details, Details!
- Finalize Major Design Details: We prepare detailed floor plans, elevations, and 3D renderings to help you visualize the new space.
- Preliminary Structural Engineering: We work with an engineer to understand the necessary structural impacts, as required.
- Develop Scope of Work After developing your project, we provide a detailed written Scope of Work, which undergoes a formal estimating phase to arrive at a fixed price.
- Develop Budget: Throughout this phase, we work closely with you to value-engineer the design, which allows you to feel confident about the budget provided.
- Clients Review & Approve Budget: Once the budget is approved, Construction Contract is signed and you are added to our production schedule.
CONSTRUCTION DOCS & PERMITING
- Finalize & Coordinate Engineering: Our team of architectural designers begin preparing the final build set of blueprints used to submit to the Building Department for Permitting.
- Submit Plans for Permits: This can be a lengthy process depending on the building department and their workload. JRP will work diligently to handle every detail and obtain your building permits.
- Select Materials & Finishes: During the Design Development phase, you and your designer will meet and walk through the many possibilities at our design center and vendors’ showrooms — where you can select from the vast array of options, products, and finishes to be used in your project.
- Complete Construction Docs: Once engineering and materials selections are finalized, construction docs are updated and issued to your Project Manager and Trade Contractors.
- Pre-Construction Meeting: You’ll meet your dedicated Project Manager and discuss logistics and expectations with you and the production team prior to starting construction on your project.
- Construction Begins: JRP is a “white glove” builder and remodeler. Your Project Manager will be on-site daily, ensuring all work is done to specifications, using the highest quality building materials and techniques. Your project manager will also handle all aspects of construction, from serving as the point of contact for all trade contractors, vendors, and city inspectors to resolving issues if they arise.
- Construction Management: You’ll never have to guess at the status of your home. Our web-based software provides you with daily logs containing progress photos, schedule updates, and any communication necessary.
- Project Completion: Our in-depth project close-out process includes a full inspection by our Production Manager and your Project Manager for a detailed walk-through to compile a final “punch list.” Upon move-in, you will receive a Comprehensive Close-Out Package with copies of all contracts, invoices, releases, city documents, manuals, and warranties.
WARRANTY / HOME CARE & REPAIR
- Premium Client Care Warranty: At JRP, we believe that truly exceptional customer service begins at the first phone call, continues through the span of a project, and then goes above and beyond. The true measure of a company’s integrity is how they treat their customers — especially long after completing a job. Our warranty demonstrates that JRP significantly exceeds the industry standard for standing behind our work. You’ll enjoy a full-coverage warranty during the two-year period following your home’s completion, and a four-year materials warranty followed by a 10-year structural warranty for years two through ten.